How do I register my logo as a trademark?
Protect Your Brand and Prevent Others From Using Your Logo Without Permission - Learn How to Register Your Logo as a Trademark
by G Smith
published: Apr 24, 2023
updated: Apr 24, 2023
logo trademark small business
Registering your logo as a trademark is a great way to protect your brand and prevent others from using it without your permission. Here are a few tips on how to register your logo as a trademark:
- Make sure it's eligible: Not all logos can be registered as trademarks. To be eligible, your logo must be distinctive and not too similar to existing trademarks. It's a good idea to conduct a trademark search before you start the registration process.
- Choose the right class: There are 45 different classes of goods and services that trademarks can be registered under. Make sure to choose the class that best describes your goods or services.
- File the application: Once you've determined that your logo is eligible and have chosen the right class, you can file your trademark application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Wait for approval: The USPTO will review your application and determine whether or not to approve it. This process can take several months.
- Use the ™ symbol: Once your trademark is approved, you can start using the ™ symbol next to your logo to let others know that it's registered.
- Renew it: Trademarks need to be renewed every 10 years. Make sure to renew your trademark on time to keep it in good standing.
Keep in mind that registering a trademark can be a long and complicated process, so it's a good idea to consult with a trademark attorney or agent. They can guide you through the process, and help you to avoid any pitfalls and to increase your chances of success. And remember, having a registered trademark will give you a legal protection for your logo and brand, and it will help you to stop others from using it without your permission.
Ready to make your own logo?